AMD FX-6330 vs. Intel Core i3-6100
AMD has launched its FX-6330 Black Edition processor in December 2016. The processor is based on Piledriver architecture and was designed for Chinese market and it holds Wraith cooler. Now, PConline has compared the performance of AMD’s last gen architecture and Intel’s latest 14nm Skylake architecture and released the benchmark.
Specifications of AMD FX-6330 and Intel Core i3-6100 processors
Though AMD FX-6330 is a 6 core processor and Intel Core i3-6100 is a dual core processor, both are aimed for budget users. Both processors price almost $120 and offer equal performance. But AMD FX-6330 is available only for Chinese users, whereas Intel Core i3-6100 is available worldwide.
The specifications of FX-6330 processor are as follows
- It has six cores based on the 32nm SOI HKMG process
- It works at a base clock speed of 3.6 GHz and boost clock speed of 4.2 GHz
- It comes with 6 MB of L2 cache and 8 MB of L3 cache
- It is compatible with AM3+ socket
- It maintains the TDP of 95W
- It includes unlocked multiplier which allows overclocking support on the chip
- It has Wraith cooler which offers 34% higher air volume circulated to the chip, 24% more surface area and runs with a steady noise output of 39dB.
- It costs $110, which is slightly less than Intel core i3 processor.
The specifications of Intel Core i3-6100 processor are as follows
- It has hyper threaded dual cores based on 14nm Skylake CPU architecture
- It works at a base clock speed of 3.7 GHz and does not support Turbo Boost
- It comes with 3 MB of L3 cache
- It maintains the TDP of 51W
- It includes PCG 2015C thermal solution which is designed to handle 65W of heat dissipation load and enough to cool the chip under load scenarios.
- It is compatible with LGA 1151 socket motherboards
- It supports DDR4 memory
- It costs $117, which is slightly more than FX processor.
- It does not contain an unlocked multiplier but includes non-K overclock features for performing overclocking in locked Skylake chips
- It has better I/O features compared to FX processor.
AMD FX-6330 Versus Intel Core i3-6100 – CPU Benchmarks:
AMD FX-6330 Versus Intel Core i3-6100 – Game Benchmarks:
AMD FX-6330 Versus Intel Core i3-6100 Benchmarks
Coming to the benchmarks, AMD FX 6330 has 6 cores and hence performed well in multi-threaded applications such as Fritz Chess benchmark, WinRar and Cinebench. But in case of games, Intel Core i3-6100 performed well compared to AMD FX 6330. Both the processors are tested with games like Crysis 3 and Metro 2033 at 1080p resolution.
- In Metro 2033, the AMD FX 6330 performed at 75 FPS, while the Core i3-6100 performed at 80 FPS.
- In Crysis 3, the FX-6330 performed at 30 FPS while the Core i3-6100 performed at 34 FPS.
Power Consumption of AMD FX-6330 Versus Intel Core i3-6100
AMD FX-6330 consumed 56W power and Intel Core i3-6100 consumed 55W in idle mode. At full load, AMD FX-6330 consumed 151W power and Intel Core i3-6100 consumed 105W. In terms of load system power consumption, AMD FX-6330 consumed 396W and Core i3-6100 consumed 346W. SO, it is clear from the data that AMD FX-6330 consumes more power slightly.
Coming to a conclusion, AMD FX-6330 will act as a good choice for someone who wants more cores in their system and Intel Core i3-6100 will act as a good choice for someone who needs processor with latest list of features and I/O support.